718.864.2011Request a Consultation

Child Visitation

Thursday, December 23, 2021

How do you win a relocation case in New York? Written by a Family Law Custody and Divorce Attorney

As a New York Family Law and Relocation Attorney at the Gilmer Law Firm, PLLC I have litigated many cases where a parent wants to relocate with a child.  This article is far parents that want to relocate although I have represented parents on both sides.

In order to win a relocation case you must convince the court whether the move will be in the best interests of the child. All of the relevant facts and circumstances of the case will considered by the Supreme (in a Divorce proceeding) or Family Court.  Although the rights of the parents will be considered by the Court, the most important consideration are the rights and need of the child because they are the innocent victims of their parent’s divorce or separation and are the least equipped to handle the challenges of their changed family situation.

Read more . . .

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

What are reasonable rights of visitation? Written by Brooklyn, New York Visitation Attorney

At the Gilmer Law Firm, PLLC, in my 20 years of experience as a a Brooklyn, New York Visitation Attorney, I have represented numerous parents in all five boroughs seeking parenting time in Family Court and Supreme Court Divorce proceedings. This article will delve into what is reasonable regarding a parent’s visitation rights in New York. What is reasonable often depends on a number of factors which I will discuss below. This article presumes that two parents are willing to negotiate a  schedule with or without Court. Sometimes parents get well along enough that they don’t need Court intervention to figure out a proper schedule.
Read more . . .

Monday, September 1, 2014

Grandparent Visitation Rights in New York

As a Brooklyn, NY based grandparent’s visitation attorney my client’s ask me can a parent deny a grandparent visitation? The answer depends upon a number of factors which shall be discussed below.


It is important to note that this article only deals with grandparent visitation and not grandparent custody. For a grandparent to have standing to apply for custody they must show that extraordinary circumstances exist. This is classified as a prolonged separation of the child and parent for at least 24 months where the biological parent has voluntarily relinquished care and control of the child who lived in the grandparent’s household during this period of time. 


The court in the Matter of E.
Read more . . .

Archived Posts


© 2022 Gilmer Law Firm, PLLC. | Attorney Advertising
42 West Street, Suite 2/36c, Brooklyn, NY 11222
| Phone: 718-864-2011

Filing a Family Law Case | Family Law Overview | Family Court | Divorce | Cohabitation Agreements | Child Support Modifications | Maintenance | Child Custody | Paternity Petitions | Restraining Order | Family Law Mediation | Restraining Order Defense | Temporary Emergency Custody | OCFS Defense Attorney | Visitation | | Other Services | Bankruptcy | ACS Cases | Day Care Representation | Immigration | Uncontested Divorce

FacebookGoogle+TwitterLinked-In PersonalYouTubeBlog RSS

Attorney Web Design by